Between work, carpool, spring-cleaning, and that perpetual traffic jam, it seems like we’re all constantly on the go go go. So when we finally reach the weekend, it’s very tempting to just veg out on the couch and watch reruns of Grey’s Anatomy. Instead of chilling out in your sweats this weekend, why don’t you try out one of these fun (and cheap!) alternatives?
1) Go to the zoo! How many times do you get to see a baby orangutan and a sun bear all in one place? The zoo is a wonderful place to let loose and become a kid again. Best part? It’s pretty cheap. Many zoos have student/senior/military discounts.
2) Join/create a book club! Whether you follow Oprah’s list or come up with one all your own, having a book club is a great way to reconnect with your friends and family. Don’t have time to meet every month? Join an online book club!
3) Learn to knit/crochet! Knitting is no longer reserved for grandmas or cat ladies; it’s a full-fledged competitive sport! Watch a couple YouTube videos or read some online guides and you’ll quickly be on your way to a new blanket, vest, or hat. Why pay $30 on that fancy scarf you’ve been eyeing when you can make it for half the price?
4) Join a city sports league! Soccer, Softball, Basketball, Volleyball! Signing up to play a sport you already love or a sport you’ve always wanted to try is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in the community as well as stay fit.
5) Go Geocaching! Grab your shovel and get your cargo pants ready because you’re in for an adventure. Geocaching is the best way to get to know your community and connect with people from around the world. Look up the location of some coordinates or get a geocaching app and see what you can discover.
Your weekend never has to be boring with so many great opportunities out there. So go out and explore!